Saturday, August 1, 2009

Musicpost: Blind Faith's 'Can't Find My Way Home'


After "I Can See Clearly Now" I started thinking about other songs that are among my all-time favorites and decided to start posting them from here on.

"Can't Find My Way Home" was released in 1969 by the English blues-rock band Blind Faith, whose one and only album, Blind Faith, climbed to No. 1 on Billboard's charts in the U.S. and U.K. In case you're not familiar with this group, I'll just say that Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood were in it, and that Clapton is a god.

I first heard this song while watching the 1993 film "Benny & Joon" starring Johnny Depp, Mary Stuart Masterson and Aidan Quinn. Joe Coker's version of it plays when Aidan Quinn's character is undergoing the predictable transforming moment towards the end of movie. He spends an uncharacteristically blue night wandering around the railroad tracks, tormented about what to do with his life. I loved the movie, by the way, (definitely worth watching), but better yet, I found one of my soulmate songs.

This is the kind of song, like other all-time favorites, that I can't listen to just once. I have to play it repeatedly for about an hour until I'm satisfied enough to let it go. It's in the lyrics ... and the melody ... and the guitar ... and the voice -- together, they're magic, at least to me.

The video includes both the acoustic and electric versions of the song. The electric one (second in the video) is OK, but the acoustic version is the one I can fixate on for hours. Enjoy.




Copyright © 2009, Primetime Oracle
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment